Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Hannah's Tears

Hannah's Tears


why, God? 

can't you see the
tears flowing
like the Jordan
from these eyes
that You created?

why?

God,
why has this shame
been cast upon me?

i look around
and see them
beautiful, smiling,
everywhere
but in my arms.

so let this prayer
fall like pure
soundless snow
from my lips

Lord,
you know how much
i love Your ways,
keep and follow
every command.

let me love a child
for a little while
let me suckle
a son to my breast
and i will give him
back to You.

look down
upon Your servant
look down
and remember her.


1 Samuel 1
original version of "United in Sorrow" found in Final Portfolio 
2014

2 comments:

  1. A nice poem with sincere sentiments. Glad you have Jesus in your life.

    Thank you. Love love, Andrew. Bye.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This does a good job of capturing a plea, a prayer from someone with a deep faith. I think the image she sees of the other women with babies could be a touch stronger/more evocative. It might also have more emotion if you allowed for longer lines . . .

    Upon reading this, I thought you might like the poems of Christina Rosetti . . .

    ReplyDelete