Saturday, May 17, 2014

The Journey

Caesar had called for a census; my master, Joseph, had talked of almost nothing else before we had set out six days ago. I'm not really sure what a census is, but it's requiring him and Mary, who is soon to be Joseph's wife, to travel for several days. Bethlehem: that's where he said we're going. Normally the journey would take about four days, but because Mary's about to have a baby, we're traveling slower than normal. This is where I come in handy; you see, my name is Asher and, I'm a donkey. My job is to carry Mary and her baby; I was chosen because I am old, so Joesph knew I would be easier for her to ride.

     Joseph motioned for me to stop as the leader of the caravan we are traveling with called out that dusk will come soon and they needed to make camp for the night. He helped Mary slide from my back, then he began to unload Boaz, who is several years younger than I am, while Mary went to help the other women prepare the evening meal. After feeding us, the caravan settled down for the night. A warm breeze began to blow, and as I drifted off, I remembered Mary saying there was something special about her baby.

     Dawn would soon glow over the earth when I was awoken by Mary's laughter. She was with the other women again, and the morning meal was being prepared. The men were rolling up their pallets and loading Boaz and the other donkeys. They quickly ate and Joseph helped Mary onto my back as we started the day's walk. It was after midday when we could finally see Bethlehem in the distance. We reached the city just before dark and as the members of the caravan began to part ways, we went in search of the inn.

     By the time we arrived, the inn was overflowing with guest. Joseph had gone inside to speak with the owner. I could overhear part of their conversation, and began to feel worried for Mary as the innkeeper apologized and told Joseph that they had no room. When Joseph replied that Mary was pregnant, the innkeeper hesitated for a moment before telling him again that there was no more room in the inn,  but that if they didn't mind the animals, there was a cave near the back of the inn which was kept very clean and they were welcome to take shelter there for the night.

     Joseph came back outside and, with some sadness in his voice, told Mary about the small stable. I could hear a soft smile in her reply, telling Joseph that it would be fine, and that the Lord had provided shelter for them for the night. Smiling back, my master replied that He had taken care of them and would continue to do so. Joseph led Boaz and I around the back of the building, where another donkey and two lambs were housed.

     Everything was calm as we settled in for the night until Mary gasped. "What is wrong?" Joseph asked. "It's the baby," Mary replied, "He's coming." Surprised, Joseph rushed back to the inn for help. When he returned a few minutes later, the innkeeper's wife--I think she was called Shiphrah--was with him, carrying a bucket of water and clean cloths. Looking at Joseph, she stated, "You wait outside with my husband, I'll take care of your wife."

     Several hours later a baby's cry could be heard, and Joseph stopped pacing at the entrance to the stable. The innkeeper's wife came out and motioned Joseph to come inside, saying, "It's a boy." Awe filled his face as Joseph knelt down beside Mary who was wrapping the tiny baby in swaddling cloth. "Jesus," he said, "His name is Jesus." "He's perfect," Mary smiled. Looking at the three of them, Shiphrah said, "I'll bring food in the morning, and let us know if there is anything else we can do to help. I'm sorry that there was no room available." "Thank you," Joseph replied, and then she left.

     My ears perked up as I heard in the distance the most beautiful sound. There were voices proclaiming, "Glory to God in the highest, And on earth peace, goodwill toward men!” I gazed at the newly born child and once again wondered what was different about him. Mary was placing him in a small manger, filled with fresh, sweet hay. She looked up at Joseph and said, "Can you imagine a more perfect place for the son of God to lay for his the first night here?" Taking her hands in his, Joseph replied that God must have wanted for all of creation to witness His son's birth."

     The son of God? How could that be? Lost in thought, I puzzled over what this meant, how special this small child truly was, and I was startled when shepherds arrived to see the baby. They told of the most wondrous sight, of angels in the heavens announcing the arrival of their savior. I noticed Mary and Joseph glace at each other in amazement before inviting the visitors closer. "His name is Jesus," Joseph told them, "He is Immanuel."

     Kneeling before his crib, the shepherds wept tears of joy. "Our Messiah has come," one proclaimed. "God truly is with us this night."




Asher means "happy"; Boaz means "swiftness"
Shiphrah means "beautiful" and was the name of one of the midwives who feared God in Exodus 1

Written Christmas 2013

No comments:

Post a Comment