Saturday, May 17, 2014

Masquerade

A skeleton in my closet resides;
thinking of him makes me sigh.
I want not the world to know he exists,
but eventually they will persists;
and know the secrets of everyone:
from hated truth, I'll not be undone.
So before they are given the chance,
I take him out, teach him to dance:
learn foxtrot, tango, Viennese waltz.
Polite conversation, he will exalt.
He'll learn to stand in the limelight;
once I'm done he'll be a sight
to behold that's filled with glory.
Oh when I'm done they'll tell a story,
but not of my misdeeds, oh no.
This one they'll love, never let go;
a perfect gentleman for all to see,
soon they'll be jealous he's dancing with me.


WWI image by Dutch cartoonist Louis Raemaekers, "The German Tango"

"If you can't get rid of the skeleton in your closet, you'd best take it out and teach it to dance." - George Bernard Shaw

2013

No comments:

Post a Comment