Saturday, May 17, 2014

She's Not That Kind of Girl

It was half past noon,
when he walked into my shop.
He looked nervous,
wide-eyed at so many choices.
I'd have bet that he was expecting
nothing more than a few roses:
red / white /pink / yellow,
maybe a lily or two,
certainly not the plethora of choices
laid before him.

Walking up with I smile,
I asked the gentleman,
what type of arrangement he was looking for.
He couldn't have been a day over nineteen,
but he looked serious as he said,
I'm looking for something special.
Not roses, she's not that of girl--
I'm not sure what her favorite flower is,
but I know that she loves summer
and waking up to see the sun rise.
She helps tutor kids
and on Saturday she volunteers at the shelter.
I know they say red roses express love,
but she's not that kind of girl.
She watches the classics, but really loves action films.
She enjoys swimming, but hates the beach.
I know she stays up late sometimes,
but rarely is she up past nine.
When she smiles, her dimples show,
and she cries at Disney movies.
I know she's a wonderful girl,
and I haven't bought her flowers before,
this is our first date, you see--
we've been friends for awhile,
but could you please help me?

Heart touched by his thoughtfulness,
Said, I have just the thing.
A small bouquet yet beautiful
sounds like what you need.
Sunflowers stretching towards the sky
with smaller ones intertwined
filled with heather pure as snow
and lilac dances down below.
Looking at it a moment or two,
he said it's perfect;
it's just her style.

Wrapped up in lace
and tied with a card:
I waved goodbye,
and wondered about the girl
whom he loved.
 
 
 
2013






Sunflowers were first grown in Central and South America, and were grown more for their usefulness (providing oil and food) than beauty. They are a unique combination of usefulness and beauty and are generally seen to represent the sun, warmth, and happiness.

Heather, native to Europe and North America, were traditionally used in everyday household items: brooms, roofs, rope, blankets, and in tea. It is usually seen as "admiration." The heather used in my poem is white.

Lilacs are native to Eastern Europe and have two meanings, depending on the colour. Purple lilacs symbolize the first emotions of love, while white lilacs represent youthful innocence. I have chosen to use purple in this bouquet.

No comments:

Post a Comment